What you need to know about overdrafts and overdraft fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or a line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday Debit Card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
What fees will be charged if First American Bank & Trust pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of $32.00 for each transaction paid in an overdraft.
- There is a daily limit on the total overdraft fees we can charge you of $160.00 per day for overdrawing your account.
What if I want First American Bank & Trust to authorize and pay overdrafts on my everyday ATM/Debit Card transactions?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on everyday ATM/Debit Card transactions, please let us know:
- Electronically: Complete the Enrollment Form and click the submit button, (it’s safe and secure.)
- In Person: Print the Enrollment Form, complete all information, and present it to any First American Bank & Trust branch
- By Mail: Print the Enrollment Form, complete all information, and mail to: First American Bank, ATTN: Opt-In, P.O. Box 550, Vacherie, LA 70090
- By Fax: Print the Enrollment Form, complete all information and fax to 225-265-7592
- By Phone: Call your local branch or call Customer Service at 1-800-738-2265
After agreeing to the terms and conditions, the Enrollment Form will follow when you click the NEXT button below.